In 2015, China Telecom Wuhan Branch launched the “Telecom Campus Broadband Dual-Speed Network” business, which realized an external access speed of 2M and an internal network access speed of 20M by all users of campus network bandwidth within the area and became popular with the users of universities and colleges.
This dual-speed campus MAN project covered multiple universities and colleges in Wuhan. Phase I realized the network access demands of more than 500 thousand users of universities and colleges in Wuhan. The project upgraded and reformed the existing network, which helped China Telecom Wuhan Brand quickly occupy the campus market and have stronger competitiveness in the campus broadband market.
Moreover, the project served as China’s largest traffic control system established with the intelligent pipeline technology and also the first “dual-speed MAN” built with such technology.
China Telecom Wuhan Branch had two urgent problems to solve in the process of upgrading and reforming the campus network of universities and colleges:
- Lack of intelligent awareness of traffic: to realize the dual-speed network, it is necessary to solve the traffic judgment of internal/external networks technically at the first and control the user bandwidth. However, the operators were largely lack of intelligent awareness in business;
- The terminal of campus telecom network was unable to access education resources: it meant the educational network failed to interwork with the telecom network, which became a big obstacle for the telecom network to enter the campus network. Where the external network failed to access the educational network resources, the server would reject the access request of the users, when it found that the source IP address of the traffic was the IP address of the external network (the telecom network). Therefore, the external telecom network was unable to interwork with the educational network resources of the campus network, such as the library and course selection system.
In 2015, GreeNet proposed the dual-network dual-speed solutions with the following details:
The equipment for solution deployment was NetDominator 20000, GreeNet’s 10-Gigabit NetDominator Traffic Control System. The equipment was deployed between the switch and BRAS by means of serial deployment to build the dual-speed network.
The advantage of a serial connection is that all packets can be processed and controlled, and the traffic control is direct and effective. Serial connection requires to deploy bypass protection equipment. In case of power failure or malfunction of DPI equipment, it can automatically switch to the bypass state, that means the restoration of original data will not affect normal communication。
1. DPI realizes intelligent identification of internal/external network traffic
NetDominator application’s layer identification, traffic analysis, and packet control technologies can precisely identify network applications, handle and differentiate the access of internal and external networks, and allocate the bandwidth accordingly.
2. NAT realizes dual-network interworking
When the dual-network interworking plan hasn’t been deployed, the external network is unable to access the resources of the educational network. When the network traffic comes to the education network server of universities and colleges, the NetDominator system will judge whether such traffic is from the internal network in specific ways and will not reject the access request from the users of internal networks. NAT can realize the interworking between the telecom network and the educational network.
3. Traffic analysis diagram gives a visual representation
The analysis diagrams of the NetDominator system can translate the application traffic by means of diagrams and charts. The system provides the network administrators with various diagrams, including real-time traffic statistics charts, concurrent user statistics charts, internal network statistical ranking lists, website access ranking lists, network application ranking lists, and so on.
4. Support IPv6 network upgrading
Moreover, thanks to the NetDominator system’s NAT support capability, it can also help build IPv6 network, solve transition problems of IPv4 and IPv6, and blaze the trail for IPv6 pilot network after the dual-speed campus MAN network is successfully built.